Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Rachel's Challenge

Ok, so since Brandon Cox motivated me to share on my wife's blog (Great Blog B-Dawg). . .thanks babe for allowing me to borrow your site (oops, I didn't ask). . .oh well, I hope you are winning at Bunco right now!

Anyways, today at my school we were shown a presentation called Rachel's Challenge. If you haven't heard of it, stick with me as I attempt to share...it is moving. Rachel Joy Scott was a student at Columbine HS. She was the first innocent person to lose her life in the shooting. She was described as a young lady who would go out of her way to treat people right. Lend a helping hand when needed, sit with someone at lunch who had no friends, or go stand up for a kid being bullied. Like most young ladies, she was an avid journalist, which proved to be the motivation for the Challenge. As Rachel's dad and brother (a survivor of the shootings who lost his 2 friends hiding beside him under a library table) sat in Rachel's room years after the tragedy, they found a paper stuffed in between the mattresses. They pulled out the following essay that Rachel wrote in one of her classes about kindness. Please read:
ESSAY

She also liked writing in unusual places, this was found on the back of her dresser :
It is an outline of her hands, with the following message written on it :
"These hands belong to Rachel Joy Scott and will some day touch millions of people's hearts."

You see Rachel had a dream, she wished that all people would treat each other the way we all deserve. Her father has begun carrying on her dream and indeed is reaching the "millions" she sought out to touch. This is called Rachel's Challenge. The following is the 5 ways she hoped all would do this (which was written on her journal...you can see it in the top right):



These simple 5 things she thought could change the world we live in. All students today were presented with this challenge and were asked to sign the banner if they wanted to accept the challenge. It was amazing and moving! I was so moved, I decided to sign up as one of the Teacher/Facilitators who will lead a group of students this year in upholding the challenge for our school. It is amazing how this young girl has moved so many to act the way God intended us to act towards each other.

More about Rachel can be found at
http://www.blogger.com/www.rachelschallenge.com My wish is that all of you who read this post, challenge yourselves with these 5 challenges. You can even sign up on the site to accept the challenge and show your support.

One last point made at the presentation was to think of 5 of the most important people in your life. Go and let them know how much they mean to you and your life! You never know how long you will have to share with them.

I value you dear friends for reading this post and staying true to being a person of God. Thank you for being our friends!!! We value each and every one of you!!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love you Jas and Kristen. I was moved by this the day you called and told me about it, Bubba! A dear young lady that she and her family are patients at Dr. B's office started working for us on Monday. Her brother was shot and killed early yesterday morning at a gas station as he had just gotten off of work. I am devastated for her bc I could not imagine this life without you guys or anyone else that we love and cherish! Thank you, bubs, for being such a precious leader for those kiddos that so deserve a loving, responsible person to show them the way God intended us to be. I adore you both!

Anonymous said...

Im a senior at Matewan High School and Tomarrow (09/16/09) Rachels dad is comming to my school and sharing the remarkable story. I havent even heard the speech yet but ive read an essay and im already touched. They are mean and cruel childish people in our high school and im bout positive this story will change the actions of many. I know it has mine. Im looking foward to hearing this speech. This is a wonderful thing. I have a daughter myself, i couldnt dream the thoughts and feeling of going through this with my daughter. To rachel's dad-Keep going strong. Its so amazing you would do this., You are now my inspiration.

Amy W.
matewantigers1@yahoo.com